Monday, March 12, 2012

DIY: Brush holder

I was bored, so I decided to be creative and decorate a glass to hold some of my makeup brushes... This is what I made! This was the first one I made so it was pretty tricky. I made another one afterwards, and that was so much easier.


If you want to create something similar, this is what you will need:


Fabric (I chose black, so the ribbon would 'pop' more)
Ribbon ( any colour or design, as thick or as thin as you like)
Scissors
PVA glue (NOT super glue - it will make the fabric turn hard)
A straight glass (a glass with sides that are not straight, can cause difficulty when gluing fabric)

These are the steps involved:

1. Measure your fabric around the glass, and add a little bit extra to overlap.
(it doesn't have to be the exact height of the glass)

2. Apply glue all around the glass, wrap the fabric around, and press firmly.
Glue down the overlaying part too.

3. Measure your ribbon around the glass, and add a little bit extra to overlap.

4. Apply the glue to the ribbon, line it up with the rim of the glass, and press the ribbon down firmly around the glass, matching the seams of the ribbon to the seams of the fabric.
(This means that when you are looking at the glass, all seams will be on the opposite side of the glass.)

5. Repeat step 4 with the other piece of ribbon; line it up with the bottom and match all the seams.

And that's it!

The PVA glue dries clear - I wouldn't recommend using super glue as this will more than likely make the fabric turn hard.

I think it turned out pretty well for a first try. I'm going to make more, and mix and match. You don't have to use them for makeup brushes,; you can use them for eyeliners, pens, nail files, etc. I think it would be a great gift idea too. Cute and personalised!

I hope you like it, and I hope you give it a go yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...