Monday, May 28, 2012

False lashes on adverts = false advertising!

This REALLY irritates me. One of my biggest pet peeves.
I'm a huge makeup lover, and mascara is my must-have makeup product.

However...
99% of the mascara adverts I've seen (tv, magazines) use false lashes to make their mascara look like it will give you the longest, thickest, most curled lashes ever. These are just some of those adverts...


*************

If false lashes are used, it's usually written in teeny tiny writing that people can barely read. For example, in Rimmel's '1-2-3 Looks' mascara ad, if you look veeeeerrrrrry closely on the left side, it reads 'shot with lash inserts', which means that they've used false lashes. Thankfully, the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) banned the ad as it was misleading.


In the US, CoverGirl advertised their LashBlast mascara, as seen below...


Is your volume true? or "false"?
LashBlast gives you true volume

"If your mascara promises volume but delivers clumps - that's false! True volume comes from our big brush, not from big clumps. Try LashBlast Volume for yourself. You may never go 'false' again."

Yeeeeeeeeah.... true volume... riiiight... that's why the advert was shot with false lashes? Yup, that's right. If you look right at the bottom left, you can just about see the teeniest, tiniest writing ever.

It reads: "Lash inserts were applied to both of Nicole's lashes to add lash count before applying mascara."

Now this is so wrong, so misleading for consumers. I mean, I've tried mascaras that give some pretty amazing results (my favourite mascara ever is L'Oreal's Volume Million Lashes', as shown above.) In the advert, Eva's lashes were shot with false lashes, but personally, I think the mascara itself is just brilliant. I had never seen the ad, but I picked up the mascara after a recommendation from a friend, and I love it! When I've worn it, I've had people ask me if I'm wearing false lashes! Obviously, the mascara itself will never make our lashes look as good as they do in these adverts... because the companies use false lashes!

I would love to see more adverts with companies using JUST their mascara. Just to show us exactly how it works, and how it will look on most lashes WITHOUT the need for falsies. I do love false lashes but these companies are using their mascara for a reason - to show us what it does! So why do they need false lashes?!

Every woman wants long, thick, full, voluminous, curled lashes... Most mascara ads promise this, and most ads make it look possible - because they use false lashes! Obviously, you'll have long, thick, full, voluminous, curled lashes if you use falsies! In my opinion, it only makes them look bad... yet still, some women are naive enough to think that these mascaras are like 'magic'. I've never been that stupid to just go out and buy a mascara by looking at the advert like that. It's hard to trust these companies now, you can never guarantee that your lashes will look like they do in the ads.

Personally, I think using false lashes in mascara adverts should be made illegal! Too many companies do it, it's misleading, it's wrong and it's just plain stupid. Sure, the mascara may sell, but mostly because women are tricked into thinking they'll have the most amazing lashes ever. It's all FALSE (pun intended!)
Bullsh*t!

Thanks for reading, I like ranting, hahaha.
What's your opinion on this subject?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...