Wednesday, October 08, 2014

Retail Problems

Don't get me wrong, I love my job so much so far. I work in a discount shop (or store for all you Americans) and meet so many lovely people everyday...as well as some very creepy men. I've been working there for over 7 months now (holy crap, time is flying) and I'm happy to say I still love it as much as day one, if not more..!! I think it's safe to say I've had my fair share of stupid questions or things that make me go 'hmm...' ha ha..!!

* * *

- When a customer asks you to help them find something that is RIGHT in front of them. Okay let me just help you find what is right in front of you.

- When parents treat the shop like a daycare. No, we will not look after your children while you shop.

- When people simply cannot control their awfully-behaved children.

- "You can save me the hassle of looking but where is..." or else I could just get on with what I was doing and you could open your eyes just a liiiittle bit more. The shop is tiny.

- Those customers who come in at like 5.58pm. I wouldn't mind if you were buying something worthwhile, but if you take your sweet ass time walking around browsing EVERYTHING, chances are, I'll begin to hate you..especially if you don't buy anything. I've never got out of work at 6pm.

- When a customer asks you to check 'out the back' for something in another colour, etc. We don't have a 'back' and I know what we sell.

- "Can I pay for this €1 item by credit/debit card?" Um, what do you think? NO.

- When customers OPEN stuff. Just no!!

- Please, I just love finding scented candles in the pet section. Or pregnancy tests in the party section. Rock on. It takes like two seconds to put it back.

- "Is it okay if I cut open this package which means the item will not be fit for sale, so I can look at it?" You're kidding, right?

- "Are you busy, can you help me?" I think the queue of people waiting to be served answers that. And don't you dare stamp your foot at me when it's your turn to be served.

- I love it when you come up to the counter with all your stuff, then decide you don't want half of it. Sure, I'd love to put it back. It's not like I have anything else to do, right?

- When a customer starts with 'this is a stupid question...' it is most likely VERY stupid. You have been warned.

- "Do you work here?" Mmm no, I'm just wearing my workplace's fleece (with our logo) because why the fuck not.

- Those customers who ask for a deal when they buy some stuff. Uh no.

- Greeting a customer and they ignore you. That's cool, I was just trying to be nice and start conversation, but whatever.

- When a customer asks to use the bathroom, which has a big 'STAFF ONLY' sign on the door. Can you not.

- When a customer asks if you have a certain item...
Me: Not on the shelf, sorry, but I know there's some in the huge order that has literally just landed. If you come back tomorrow evening, it will most likely be on the shelf then.
Customer: can't you just find it in the order for me now?
UM NO. 

- buying a pair of reading glasses
Me: that's €4.50, please.
Customer: but it says 4.00.
Me: that's the strength.
Customer: so they don't cost €4.00?
Me: No. And the sign on the glasses stand says "All reading glasses €4.50."
Customer: I don't want them.

* * *

I mean, I probably get all of these 'problems' at least twice a week..and despite it all, I still LOVE my job so much more than I thought I could ever love working in retail. A few people have told me I'll regret saying that as Christmas is coming, but we'll see..!! My days are brightened up a lot by the regular customers that come into the shop..some of them just to see me, if you would!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...