Monday, June 25, 2012

Expired Make-up

Whilst browsing through some blogs, I came across a post talking about make-up which had passed it's expiration date, asking do we still use it etc. This is my take on it...
____________________________________________________________________________________


If you know me (or if you don't), you'll probably know by now that I'm a hoarder! Beauty products in general, but mostly make-up.

Beauty products & make-up products have expiry dates - some last for 3 months, some last for 36 months, maybe even more. I don't usually go by these dates, because if the product still looks good/clean, smells fine & does it's job, why not? I know the expiration dates are there for a reason - if we use something after it's expiration date, I suppose it's our own fault if we get an infection from using it...? Whatever the reason, I'm sure most people will still use some things after the expiration date has passed. 

Admittedly, I do use most make-up products after their expiration date; eyeshadows, lipsticks, face powder etc. It's probably really bad, but with some things I've spent a lot of money on, parting with them is hard when they're still so full. 

Another thing I will use after the expiration date is...mascara! I know, you may be thinking 'ew, that's so disgusting!'...but yep, I do it quite a bit. After 3 months, we're supposed to throw mascaras away, as they can breed bacteria. But to be honest, I don't see how the bacteria gets in if it's only touching your lashes (which we clean using eye make-up remover anyway) I know the pumping action is bad, but like I said, if it's still in good condition & does it's job, why throw it away? If it's totally dried out, it's different, I'll throw it away then, as it's totally useless. Or, if it smells bad, or starts to hurt my eyes, it's time for the bin.

I've had some mascaras for over a year & they're still perfect...still lengthen my lashes, give volume & best of all, they don't infect my eyes. I wear contact lenses, & I do have pretty sensitive eyes. Even though I use old mascara, I've never once gotten an eye infection, or 'pink eye'.

I don't know about body creams/washes, as I tend to use them up pretty quick. They may still be okay after the expiration date, but I don't know yet so I can't say.

What do you think? Do you ever use products after they have 'expired'?

4 comments:

  1. I have a Dior eyeshadow pallet that I got almost four years ago. It still goes on just as well as when I first bought it and I haven't had any infections or irritation. I love it so much I won't get rid of it until it's completely gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm exactly the same with my 120 palette! It must be 'expired' by now, but I still use it; the colours are as vibrant as ever and I've had no infections. I bet we're being conned!!

      Delete
  2. I'm fine with mascaras, as some have 6 month usage on the tub now. I normally use two at the same time so I can use them up. Recently I done a large clear up on my make-up, I thrown away most of the stuff that I had for a year and didn't touch. I feel so much better and now I'm not buying until I will use something up first. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've yet to see a mascara with a 6 month 'expiry' date, but I'd still use it after the year if it were perfect, hehe. That's a good idea actually, but I find it so hard to put myself on a spending ban, even though I have SO much makeup...lack of discipline! :( xx

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...